If you haven’t signed in to the forum since before 6/27/2014 you’ll need to reset your password in order to sign into your account. To do this, click here (the "I forgot my password" link on the login page) and you'll be sent a new password. You can read more about this here.

The Dream Walker - A Song By Song Review

Discuss all things AvA here
Chuck-182
Omnipresent

Omnipresent

Postby Chuck-182 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Something I haven't done since Love Pt. I (holy shit almost 5 years ago! :shock: ) that I've always enjoyed doing is write a song by song review of an AVA album, so I thought it would be something fun we could all do and discus. So here we go!

Teenagers & Rituals

I don't think I could ever understate how much I love this song, it was such a surprise to me. The dramatic piano in the beginning immediately screams Ilan and it's great. The verses set the perfect tone for the whole song, the chorus is so fast and energetic and is my favorite part of the song.

Score - 9.5/10

Paralyzed

Unfortunately, for me this is the lowest points of the album in my opinion. The song starts out great, I really like the guitar in the beginning along with the verses but I do not care for the chorus at all and it really makes the whole song fall flat for me.

Score - 6/10

The Wolfpack

I adore this song so so so much! The electronic feeling to it caught me so off guard when I first heard it and I think it's a great change of pace for this band. Unfortunately, along with slightly boring verses this song (as well as Paralyzed) continues the trend with Tom of nonsensical lyrics, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this song a perfect score for me. The chorus and bridge are some of Tom's best work though which is what I love about this song.

Score - 8/10

Tunnels

Like everyone else has said this song is very reminiscent of U2 but it's in such a great way to me. When the first verse kicks in you can tell it's going to be a very dramatic song. The tonal change in Tom's voice from verse one to verse two is absolutely phenomenal and is a highlight of the album, the first line in the second verse gives me chills every time I hear it. I'm not a huge fan of the song structure though, verse verse chorus chorus is not the greatest and makes the song seem short to me even though it's over 4 minutes long. I love the build up from the second verse to the first chorus though and is what makes me like this song so much.

Score - 7.5/10

Kiss With A Spell

As with any AVA album, the best way to listen to it is laying in bed with the lights out and your eyes closed. That's precisely what I did, and in doing so this song specifically was such a huge trip. It's is such a big landscape with all the effects and they all mesh together very, very well. I love how subtle but important the guitar is. I just wish Tom's vocals were more present (for lack of a better word) in the chorus like it was in the clip were heard a little while ago, but other than that this is a fantastic song.

Score - 8/10

Mercenaries

This song seems to be a fan favorite so far and I absolutely understand why. It takes Tom's strengths and presents them in such a fresh and great way. I'm not a huge fan of the verses but everything else about this song kicks you right in the mouth and sounds amazing. The line in the chorus, "You didn't need to count me out" is one of the greatest things I've ever heard and the slight melodical change in the second time he sings it is phenomenal. I think the highlight for me though is the bridge, the steel drum-like instrument makes it slightly haunting in a great way.

Score - 9.5/10

Bullets in the Wind

I wasn't the biggest fan of this song when we first heard it a few weeks ago and I still don't think I like it as much as everyone else seems to but it's starting to grow on me. The guitar is so funky and different than really anything else AVA has done which is the reason I'm starting to like it more. I really like the chorus and the bridge as well. The only reason I'm rating this one lower is not because I don't like it but strictly because of how great the rest of this album is.

Score - 6.5/10

The Disease

Holy shit this song is so intense in a dramatic fashion! It's a well-known fact that Tom is a huge fan of The Cure and that is very clear here especially in the guitar parts. I can almost hear Robert Smith singing in the verses and then the chorus puts the AVA twist on it and really rounds this song out. To me this song goes hand-in-hand with Kiss With A Spell in just the overall "feel" of it which is why I'm gonna give them the same score.

Score - 8/10

Tremors

I'm so in love with this song it's insane. If I didn't know this band at all I would've thought it came out in the 80s, I could totally see it being in The Breakfast Club or some other Molly Ringwald in the 80s haha. I don't really have much to say other than I find everything about this song absolutely fantastic.

Score - 9/10

Anomaly

I've been waiting for an acoustic AVA song since Tom first announced this band in 2005 and it is everything I imagined it would. It's such a soft love song, it reminds of a way way WAY better version of Hey There Delilah. Unlike with most AVA songs the past few albums, the lyrics are very sweet and a strongpoint to the song.

Score 8.5/10

Final Thoughts -

This album such a massive breath of fresh air for this band, Ilan's influences are obvious all over the place and really compliment Tom's strengths well. Like I said before I don't think anything they could do could top We Don't Need To Whisper for me but this is as close as it's gonna get. It's far better than the Love albums and is even better than I-Empire, and I'm one of the people that loved that album. The biggest thing to me, though, is that you can very clearly tell this album is a collaboration between musicians rather than just Tom doing everything and the other band members just along for the ride. I'm very excited for the future of this band now.

Overall Score - 8.5/10

I guess this is growing up...
2009-2015

Djenni
Reckless Abandon

Reckless Abandon

Postby Djenni » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:20 am

Excellent review man! You definitely need to give Bullets in the Wind a bit more time, such a good song. At the moment it's kind of my favorite from the album along with Tremors & Anomaly.

"and she's trying to sleep it off, with her head on my shoulder"

Return to “Angels & Airwaves”