If you haven’t signed in to the forum since before 6/27/2014 you’ll need to reset your password in order to sign into your account. To do this, click here (the "I forgot my password" link on the login page) and you'll be sent a new password. You can read more about this here.

RIP Amy Winehouse

Discuss the world of music here
User avatar
endra
Reckless Abandon

Reckless Abandon
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Postby endra » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 am

Not really a fan, dont know if anyone on here is, but figured i should post it, she was pretty popular
http://news.yahoo.com/police-singer-amy ... 41681.html ... 41681.html
Last edited by endra on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

CatLikeThief
Feeling This!

Feeling This!
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 am

Postby CatLikeThief » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 am

Not a fan either, still sad when people die though. RIP

Matthew!
Postwhore

Postwhore
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:59 pm

Postby Matthew! » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:56 am

Im not going to pretend like I even nearly give a fuck.

User avatar
Djenni
Reckless Abandon

Reckless Abandon
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Iceland
Contact:

Postby Djenni » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:12 am

CatLikeThief wrote:Not a fan either, still sad when people die though. RIP

EDIT: 666th post :?
Image

"and she's trying to sleep it off, with her head on my shoulder"

sergio-182
Abducted

Abducted
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 am

Postby sergio-182 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:49 pm

This is gonna sound harsh but I'm gonna say it anyway. She got what she deserved, I mean she was a druggy and alcoholic slut, if she truly had cared of her life she would've never died at this young age. By the way I'm not a fan and I don't have anything against her music, I just hate it when people praise someone after they're dead. She wasn't a saint, she truly deserved how she died. R.I.P anyway

Diglett
Addicted

Addicted
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:17 am

Postby Diglett » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:33 am

Matthew! wrote:Im not going to pretend like I even nearly give a fuck.


[ Post made via BD Mobile ] Image

TeaLeaf
Abducted

Abducted
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 am

Postby TeaLeaf » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 am

sergio-182 wrote:This is gonna sound harsh but I'm gonna say it anyway. She got what she deserved, I mean she was a druggy and alcoholic slut, if she truly had cared of her life she would've never died at this young age. By the way I'm not a fan and I don't have anything against her music, I just hate it when people praise someone after they're dead. She wasn't a saint, she truly deserved how she died. R.I.P anyway

She's not being praised because she was a druggie. She's being praised for her music which has been inspirational to a lot of people. Imo, her music was very good and brutally honest at times.
She obviously wasn't a saint. But being an addict is much more complex than it seems. I've known people who have died from addiction and it is an incredibly difficult and lonely situation for them, even with their friends and family around to support them.
The horrendous media attention focused on her (especially in the UK) I feel were largely to blame for her dramatic downfall. I find it disgusting how the media decides to glorify her addiction and troubles rather than do anything to help her - i.e. by give her some privacy. It's reminiscent of Kurt Cobain and his downfall with Nirvana's success. He couldn't handle it.

Sorry, rant over. It's a might shame she couldn't solve her inner demons. R.I.P. Amy Winehouse.

Monday
Famous

Famous
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 am

Postby Monday » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 am

TeaLeaf wrote:
sergio-182 wrote:This is gonna sound harsh but I'm gonna say it anyway. She got what she deserved, I mean she was a druggy and alcoholic slut, if she truly had cared of her life she would've never died at this young age. By the way I'm not a fan and I don't have anything against her music, I just hate it when people praise someone after they're dead. She wasn't a saint, she truly deserved how she died. R.I.P anyway

She's not being praised because she was a druggie. She's being praised for her music which has been inspirational to a lot of people. Imo, her music was very good and brutally honest at times.
She obviously wasn't a saint. But being an addict is much more complex than it seems. I've known people who have died from addiction and it is an incredibly difficult and lonely situation for them, even with their friends and family around to support them.
The horrendous media attention focused on her (especially in the UK) I feel were largely to blame for her dramatic downfall. I find it disgusting how the media decides to glorify her addiction and troubles rather than do anything to help her - i.e. by give her some privacy. It's reminiscent of Kurt Cobain and his downfall with Nirvana's success. He couldn't handle it.

Sorry, rant over. It's a might shame she couldn't solve her inner demons. R.I.P. Amy Winehouse.


wow... you feel to blame for her downfall? Then you are a masochistic idiot. She is to blame for her downfall, for fuck sake she wrote a song about how she refused rehab for what was ultimately a fatal problem. She wasn't dumb enough to think that she was invincible and she made her addiction a trademark of her image. Yeah it's a bummer when potentially talented people piss away their lives, but seriously there was no way she didn't see this coming.

TeaLeaf
Abducted

Abducted
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 am

Postby TeaLeaf » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 am

Monday wrote:
TeaLeaf wrote:
sergio-182 wrote:This is gonna sound harsh but I'm gonna say it anyway. She got what she deserved, I mean she was a druggy and alcoholic slut, if she truly had cared of her life she would've never died at this young age. By the way I'm not a fan and I don't have anything against her music, I just hate it when people praise someone after they're dead. She wasn't a saint, she truly deserved how she died. R.I.P anyway

She's not being praised because she was a druggie. She's being praised for her music which has been inspirational to a lot of people. Imo, her music was very good and brutally honest at times.
She obviously wasn't a saint. But being an addict is much more complex than it seems. I've known people who have died from addiction and it is an incredibly difficult and lonely situation for them, even with their friends and family around to support them.
The horrendous media attention focused on her (especially in the UK) I feel were largely to blame for her dramatic downfall. I find it disgusting how the media decides to glorify her addiction and troubles rather than do anything to help her - i.e. by give her some privacy. It's reminiscent of Kurt Cobain and his downfall with Nirvana's success. He couldn't handle it.

Sorry, rant over. It's a might shame she couldn't solve her inner demons. R.I.P. Amy Winehouse.


wow... you feel to blame for her downfall? Then you are a masochistic idiot. She is to blame for her downfall, for fuck sake she wrote a song about how she refused rehab for what was ultimately a fatal problem. She wasn't dumb enough to think that she was invincible and she made her addiction a trademark of her image. Yeah it's a bummer when potentially talented people piss away their lives, but seriously there was no way she didn't see this coming.

Did you read what I said? Pay attention before you start accusing people of being "a masochistic idiot." I might as well accuse you of being "ignorant." Even if I did say it, there is no need. Your views aren't fact and they don't make mine necessarily wrong. It just makes you seem a bit of a douche.

I didn't say I was to blame did I? Although I stated the extensive media coverage of her downfall were partly to blame for how excessive it became. There was a lot more to that song [Rehab] and her music than just her happily rejecting rehab. That whole album was depressive and signified her struggles.
Obviously she is partly to blame for getting herself into the mess, but it definitely wasn't her that decided to make it her trademark image. She didn't decide to have hordes of paparazzi photographing her and making her most vulnerable moments front page of the tabloids. If she didn't have all that negative attention publicised, I personally think she wouldn't have been so psychologically unstable and she would have survived.
It's a bummer indeed. I read that she was attending treatment and therapy for addiction in the weeks/days before her death. Poor soul.
(By the way, I feel a bit pointless arguing about this frankly. The results were inconclusive and it could possibly be something completely unexpected that caused her death. She's still a role model for why we shouldn't take drugs and alcohol so excessively though.)

Monday
Famous

Famous
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 am

Postby Monday » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm

I did read that portion incorrectly. I imagined an apostrophe where there wasn't. Read it as \"we're\" partly to blame. I apologize for the masochism remark.

I do however reject your paparazzi statement. If you're famous it comes with the territory. Do they go over board? Absolutely, but stars give them plenty of reasons to go ballistic for the shot. The reason her bad exploits were making front page tabloid news was because the majority of her exploits were bad. Music about hardships isn't uncommon, but when you celebrate the fact that you didn't go to rehab because you enjoy the lifestyle, you are in fact celebrating the shittiest parts of you. Which is what she did, the results were inconclusive yes but the reality of it is the lifestyle she lead, and celebrated, is what lead up to her death plain and simple. Getting weepy eyed because we \"lost a great person\" is a load. Feeling sorrow for the loss of a life is perfectly fine, however I carry no illusions that she was a good human being.

And I am openly a douche, I have harsh opinions, it comes with the territory.

User avatar
BeardlessTulip
Reckless Abandon

Reckless Abandon
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Postby BeardlessTulip » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Who fucking cares?

Diglett
Addicted

Addicted
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:17 am

Postby Diglett » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Thank you Beardless :lol:

TeaLeaf
Abducted

Abducted
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 am

Postby TeaLeaf » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Monday wrote:I did read that portion incorrectly. I imagined an apostrophe where there wasn't. Read it as "we're" partly to blame. I apologize for the masochism remark.

I do however reject your paparazzi statement. If you're famous it comes with the territory. Do they go over board? Absolutely, but stars give them plenty of reasons to go ballistic for the shot. The reason her bad exploits were making front page tabloid news was because the majority of her exploits were bad. Music about hardships isn't uncommon, but when you celebrate the fact that you didn't go to rehab because you enjoy the lifestyle, you are in fact celebrating the shittiest parts of you. Which is what she did, the results were inconclusive yes but the reality of it is the lifestyle she lead, and celebrated, is what lead up to her death plain and simple. Getting weepy eyed because we "lost a great person" is a load. Feeling sorrow for the loss of a life is perfectly fine, however I carry no illusions that she was a good human being.

And I am openly a douche, I have harsh opinions, it comes with the territory.

That's fine dude. You make a fair enough point.

I still disagree though. There are people like Katie Price who blatantly and purposefully expose themselves by any means possible to be in the tabloids - but she's an attention whore. The 'everyday' addict won't have these issues to deal with and I wouldn't say it was Amy's choice to become 'famous.' She started off as a fairly respectable musician but it started spiralling downhill after 'Frank' and the Mercury Prize nomination when she started recieving attention from the public. I'm not saying there's a definite correlation, I don't know her full history, but I'm certain there's a link with the increased exposure and lack of privacy. I don't think any of us could comprehend how bad it could be unless we actually become a celebrity and paparazzi fodder.
Listening through the album, I quite strongly disagree with how you say she's celebrating her lifestyle. The way I'm interpreting it, It sounds to me like a cry for help conflicting with her own self pride. Neither pride or help we gave her.
I hope I'm not giving an impression that I'm defending her lifestyle; but I don't think she was necessarily a bad person. This view is probably largely down to a few of my own friends that are struggling at the moment (of which I have no doubt in my mind that they are still good people). But outside the tabloids, I've read comments from people such as from family, friends and other musicians such as Tony Bennett praising her as a person so I can't really accept myself labelling her as a bad human being. I didn't know her and she wasn't exactly Hitler.

I don't see much point in being pessimistic about everything anymore. I'm quite the opposite to you. I do try my best to see the best in other people.

sergio-182
Abducted

Abducted
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 am

Postby sergio-182 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 am

Monday wrote:
TeaLeaf wrote:
sergio-182 wrote:This is gonna sound harsh but I'm gonna say it anyway. She got what she deserved, I mean she was a druggy and alcoholic slut, if she truly had cared of her life she would've never died at this young age. By the way I'm not a fan and I don't have anything against her music, I just hate it when people praise someone after they're dead. She wasn't a saint, she truly deserved how she died. R.I.P anyway

She's not being praised because she was a druggie. She's being praised for her music which has been inspirational to a lot of people. Imo, her music was very good and brutally honest at times.
She obviously wasn't a saint. But being an addict is much more complex than it seems. I've known people who have died from addiction and it is an incredibly difficult and lonely situation for them, even with their friends and family around to support them.
The horrendous media attention focused on her (especially in the UK) I feel were largely to blame for her dramatic downfall. I find it disgusting how the media decides to glorify her addiction and troubles rather than do anything to help her - i.e. by give her some privacy. It's reminiscent of Kurt Cobain and his downfall with Nirvana's success. He couldn't handle it.

Sorry, rant over. It's a might shame she couldn't solve her inner demons. R.I.P. Amy Winehouse.


wow... you feel to blame for her downfall? Then you are a masochistic idiot. She is to blame for her downfall, for fuck sake she wrote a song about how she refused rehab for what was ultimately a fatal problem. She wasn't dumb enough to think that she was invincible and she made her addiction a trademark of her image. Yeah it's a bummer when potentially talented people piss away their lives, but seriously there was no way she didn't see this coming.

You saved me the trouble of writing it. Drug/alcohol addicts disgust me, its their own fault they're fucking addicts why should we pity them?

Monday
Famous

Famous
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 am

Postby Monday » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:57 pm

TeaLeaf wrote:
Monday wrote:I did read that portion incorrectly. I imagined an apostrophe where there wasn't. Read it as "we're" partly to blame. I apologize for the masochism remark.

I do however reject your paparazzi statement. If you're famous it comes with the territory. Do they go over board? Absolutely, but stars give them plenty of reasons to go ballistic for the shot. The reason her bad exploits were making front page tabloid news was because the majority of her exploits were bad. Music about hardships isn't uncommon, but when you celebrate the fact that you didn't go to rehab because you enjoy the lifestyle, you are in fact celebrating the shittiest parts of you. Which is what she did, the results were inconclusive yes but the reality of it is the lifestyle she lead, and celebrated, is what lead up to her death plain and simple. Getting weepy eyed because we "lost a great person" is a load. Feeling sorrow for the loss of a life is perfectly fine, however I carry no illusions that she was a good human being.

And I am openly a douche, I have harsh opinions, it comes with the territory.

That's fine dude. You make a fair enough point.

I still disagree though. There are people like Katie Price who blatantly and purposefully expose themselves by any means possible to be in the tabloids - but she's an attention whore. The 'everyday' addict won't have these issues to deal with and I wouldn't say it was Amy's choice to become 'famous.' She started off as a fairly respectable musician but it started spiralling downhill after 'Frank' and the Mercury Prize nomination when she started recieving attention from the public. I'm not saying there's a definite correlation, I don't know her full history, but I'm certain there's a link with the increased exposure and lack of privacy. I don't think any of us could comprehend how bad it could be unless we actually become a celebrity and paparazzi fodder.
Listening through the album, I quite strongly disagree with how you say she's celebrating her lifestyle. The way I'm interpreting it, It sounds to me like a cry for help conflicting with her own self pride. Neither pride or help we gave her.
I hope I'm not giving an impression that I'm defending her lifestyle; but I don't think she was necessarily a bad person. This view is probably largely down to a few of my own friends that are struggling at the moment (of which I have no doubt in my mind that they are still good people). But outside the tabloids, I've read comments from people such as from family, friends and other musicians such as Tony Bennett praising her as a person so I can't really accept myself labelling her as a bad human being. I didn't know her and she wasn't exactly Hitler.

I don't see much point in being pessimistic about everything anymore. I'm quite the opposite to you. I do try my best to see the best in other people.


Oh I'm not a pessimist, people have to prove to me in big ways that I shouldn't have faith in them. For the most part I am a pretty loving individual. But drug addicts are on my short list of people I can't stand. Life is a precious thing, and when they do that first line of coke or dose of heroine they know they could potentially ruin their lives. I'm not perfect but I know that heroine isn't going to make my fucked up shit go away and feeling numb is a cop out. I have zero sympathy for them no matter what argument is presented to me.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest